I’m going to be honest and say I didn’t price this up because I forgot. It was a special treat during the holidays. Also, whilst being honest I wasn’t to sure how it would tun out because I haven’t really cooked a pudding before, I say cook, this actually doesn’t involve any cooking! As it turned out, it wasn’t bad!
oh! before I woke up this morning iI didn’t even know what a coulis was, let alone how to make one. But thanks to the BBC good food magazine I was about to find out.
for the gateau
- 2 x lrge shop bought fan cases
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
- 400g strawberries, halved
- 600ml double cream
- 2tbsp icing sugar, plus 150g
- 5 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 5-6 raspberries
for the coulis
- 200g strawberries
- 100g icing sugar
- squeeze of lemon
- Using the base of a deep cake tin that I found lurking a the very back of the cupboard, I cut a circle from each flan case and chopped up the remaining bits of flan and kept for later. After putting the cake tin back together, I used a couple of bits of cling film to cover the tin with a large enough overhang to cover the gateau completely.
- I plonked one of the flan cases into the bottom of the tin and spread about half the jam over it, I then arranged the strawberries around the outside with the cut it facing outwards, i kept the remaining strawberries to one side.
- using a hand whisk i whipped the cream with 2 tbsp icing sugar and elderflower cordial until the mixture sort of held itself together. Then after chopping the remaining strawberries and folding them into the cream mixture I used half the cream to fill the centre of the gateau, pushing into the edges to hold the strawberries in place.
- i then pushed the flan off cuts into the mix, drizzled over the rest of the cordial. Next I stirred the rest of the jam into the remaining cream and spread that over the flan off cuts. finally i placed the second flan case on the top. I folded the cling over it all (pressing down a little to compress it together) and chucked it into the fridge whilst I made the icing and coulis.
- I crushed the rasberries wit ha spoon in a bowl and added 150g icing sugar and stired to make the icing. I removed the cake from the tin and put it on a plate and spread the icing on the top.
- For the coulis, I used my hand blender and mixed 200g strawberries, 100g icing sugar and the lemon juice and then chucked it all in a jug for serving.